Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Garlic Mozzarella Pinwheels....

Here's a simple appetizer recipe to keep handy for those days when you need something quick.  I tried these out recently to take to my Book Club's Holiday Party.  My tasters/testers at home, oops I mean, my family :) liked them and my friends enjoyed them at the party.  Here's what I did with a few ingredients I had on hand. I'm sure that once you stop to think about it you will be able to think up combinations to make your own sweet or savory Pinwheels.  Enjoy and Happy Cr-eating!


I used:
1 sheet of Puff Pastry (make sure it's cold but, you're able to unroll it)
Pre-made Garlic Butter Spread (If you don't have this, make a spread of your own... try Butter with Garlic Powder or a bit of minced garlic.  Add a spoon of Oregano or Italian Seasoning and a pinch of salt.)
3 TBSP Mozzarella cheese
1/2 TBSP Dried Basil (crushed)

I laid the puff pastry flat and brushed on a thin layer of the Garlic Butter Spread. On the end from which I was going to start rolling,  I spread the Mozzarella cheese from end to end - preferably the short side.  I left a little bit of an edge that would help me get the rolling started easier. I gently lifted the puff pastry and started rolling to the other end.  Once I had a tight rolled log, I put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes so that it would all set together, making it easier to cut.

I cut the log into slices and laid them on a baking sheet. I baked them for about 12 minutes.  Since all oven cooking times vary and the thickness of your slices will also have an effect on how much time they need to cook.  Just keep an eye on them the first time.

Take them out when they are a bubbly golden brown.  Sprinkle the Dried Basil over each one while they are still hot.  Enjoy!

The possibilities are endless.  :)  Here are just a few other options to fill your Pinwheels with:

Nutella
Sugar (makes the well known treat, Palmier)
Mexican Cheese and Jalapenos
Indian Curry Filling (Mashed Potato & Veggies)





No comments:

Post a Comment